Tuesday, April 5, 2011

rainy disney world shenanigans.

Last Monday I went to Disney World with my friends Jen and Sherri. They are sisters (you really couldn't tell, could you? ;-), and some of the sweetest people I know. 

We made plans to go to Disney World at the beginning of March because we hadn't seen each other for a while, and we determined that we would hang out even if there wasn't a concert happening as an excuse for us to see each other. Jen has a friend who works at Disney World, so she was able to get three free park hopper passes (try saying that 10 times fast) for one day. Considering the fact that Sherri and I are both poor college kids, this was amazing news! Especially since Disney World is extremely overrated. What? It's true!

I had been checking up on the weather every day like it was my job or something to make sure that we would have perfect weather for the adventures that awaited us. We did.

Until I checked the forecast the before our adventure and the stupid percentage for rain went from 30% to 80%. 

Eighty-stinkin'-percent

Shoot...

After calling Jen up we decided that we were Floridians and a little rain couldn't hurt, and definitely wasn't going to put a damper on our day. Hee hee. I immediately ran out that evening and bought a poncho from good 'ole Walgreens. I was set and ready to go for the fun and craziness and sogginess that would ensue.

6:45 the next morning...I'm on my way and it starts POURING the moment I walk out my front door. Pours all the way to the notorious Orlando toll plaza, and lets up about 20 minutes before I get onto Disney property. So goes the story of the rest of our day...rains just enough for us to get wet, but doesn't pour quite enough to make us feel like we're miserable. Until we get under a covered area and the heavens open up. It never failed. Thanks, God! I know that's cheesy, but that's the way I saw it throughout the day.

Anyways, we started at Hollywood Studios. Can we please have a moment of silence for the greatness that once was MGM? Thank you. Moving on...
We got our passes, and decided that while we were there we would ride Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. They were both just as amazing as I remembered. Even though Tower of Terror did scare the life out of me for 2.5 seconds and made my heart pound way more than I ever thought it did. I might be getting old...

Then we made our way to Magic Kingdom and visited The Haunted Mansion. I hadn't been on that ride in ages, and they changed my favorite part. It was still silly, though. Jen and I even managed to have a mini-dance party in our cars. It was amazing. We wanted to go on Splash and Thunder Mountain, but they were closed because of lightning, so we ended up going on the tea cups. Note to self: Don't ride the tea cups with a poncho on. You will choke and feel like you're going to throw up. After that we grabbed some fast passes for Space Mountain, and decided to go eat lunch while we waited. By the time we were done eating lunch it was time for us to take a ride through space. After we were done with that, Splash and Thunder Mountain were opened again with about 20 minute wait times so we hopped in line and rode the both of them. After that we headed on over to Pirates of the Caribbean and literally walked right on. There was absolutely no wait at all. It was amazing.

After that we headed on over to Animal Kingdom and it was only 4:00, so we still had plenty of time to do what we really came there to do. I had my mind set on one place, and one place only. Expedition Everest! It was raining pretty hard by the time we got to Animal Kingdom, and the days activities were beginning to wear on us, but we were still pumped up about
getting to experience the BIG mountain for the first time. There was only a five minute wait, so we walked right on. There was definitely not enough time to prepare for what we were about to endure. Especially after I saw the huge incline and my stomach dropped. Not to worry, though. It was everything and more than I hoped it would be. It was stinkin' incredible! So incredible, in fact, that we had to ride it again immediately after. We also watched the show in the tree of life. It was interesting and gave me the creepy crawly feeling. If you know what I'm saying... ;-)

Afterward we headed back to Hollywood Studios to hop into our warm cars and go grab some dinner at a Bob Evans off of Disney property. We warmed our bellies with food and drink, and warmed our hearts with conversation. We sat in Jen's car for a little bit and had a mini-listening party to Jason Gray's new EP. After all, it was his music that paved the way to my formed friendship with Jen, it was only right that he be a small part of our day. 

After our listening party, we both went our separate directions with memories of that one rainy day at Disney world to last us for a very long time.

4 comments:

  1. More notes to self:
    - The teacups were not made for tall people. Divide your party accordingly. (or be prepared for knees-in-your-face)
    - Don't sit on your poncho on Thunder Mountain, unless you want the sliding around/gonna fall out of the train experience.
    - Always carry a spare pair of flip-flops if rain is imminent.
    - Find something waterproof to keep your cash in (I was apologizing to people for soggy bills for days)
    - The GPS will always have you going the wrong way. Always.

    Soooo much fun! And love this blog post. I'm so glad we got to do this! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Shenanigans is one of the best words ever. Like trifecta. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knees in your face...knees in your face...looking like a fool with your knees in your face... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

comments make me smile. :)