Saturday, June 9, 2012

community.

Earlier today... I was tired, cranky, didn't want to do anything, would rather have stayed in bed, needed an attitude adjustment, wanted a vacation.

I had a meeting that I needed to go to at church, which I was totally okay with, and later in the day I was supposed to meet with a friend to grab coffee and "exchange cookies for hugs".
The time in between was unknown. I came home and my mom wanted me to help her clean a little bit. No problem there, except my mood totally went down hill. I was tired, didn't want to go anywhere, didn't want to do anything. I needed to trade my tired and unhappy heart in for a merry one.




Later today... I met my friend at Starbucks. The point of this was so she could deliver cookies she so sweetly and kindly decided to bless me with, and I could exchange her cookies for a big hug. You see, on Thursday I found out that I will be tested on seven chapters of American history this coming Thursday. One week to read and study seven chapters. I was overwhelmed and posted something about my panic on Facebook Thursday. My sweet friend Lindsy kindly left me a comment and said she would bake me whatever type of cookie I wanted, because baked goods are every studying girls best friend. My request? Ooey gooey chocolate chip cookies. They are fantastic (I'm eating two right now). 

We ended up getting coffee, sitting at a tiny table in a small Starbucks, just talking. Sharing life and laughter with one another. By the time we looked at the clock, three hours had passed in the blink of an eye. There wasn't a dull moment, and the conversation was life giving, soul lifting, and just generally good for my weary heart.

As were were talking, we talked about prayer, and how it can be hard to pray sometimes. I feel silly when I pray most of the time, especially if God already knows what the outcome will be. It's hard for me to pray for something and hope that my praying will turn the situation around if that's not God's plan. But...I know that through my praying, my relationship with the Lord is becoming stronger. I'm working at the relationship, but God is also working in my heart through the conversations I am having with Him. I tell Him the desires of my heart, he takes those desires, molds them into what He wants for me, hands them back and the desires of my heart become the desires of His heart.

The Lord knows what we need, when we need it. Today, the Lord knew I needed to be rejuvenated. He knew that I needed to be in community with a friend. And He knew I needed some chocolate chip cookies...

"Wherever two or more are gathered, there I am with them."
Matthew 18:20

2 comments:

  1. I've heard it said that prayer is like being in a boat on the ocean. It does not so much pull the land to us as it pulls us towards the land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I just now saw this. <3 you girl!

    ReplyDelete

comments make me smile. :)